Making sure your horse blanket fits correctly will help ensure your horse is comfortable and properly protected from the elements. All of the blankets we sell follow a uniform measuring system that is given in inches, so once you know your horse’s blanket size, any blanket you purchase in that size should fit your horse.
To properly measure your horse, you will need the following tools:
- A helper to help hold the measuring tape or keep your horse still
- A cloth measuring tape
Instructions for Measuring
- For the most accurate results make sure your horse is standing still and square with their head up, on even ground, before you begin measuring. It also never hurts to measure twice to be sure your measurement is correct!
- Place the beginning of the measuring tape squarely at the center point of your horse’s chest, and have someone hold it securely.
- Bring the measuring tape back across your horse to their flank, making sure to take the measuring tape over the widest part of the shoulder and belly, and keep it taut and not loose across their body.
- Hold the end of the measuring tape up to the end of your horse’s buttock at the widest point. The closest full inch size to this measurement (chest to rear) will be your horse’s blanket size.
- If your horse has a measurement that is not exact, for example, 68.5”, you will want to preferably size up (not down) to the closest blanket size. In this example, this would be size 69”.
Now that you know your horse’s blanket size, you’re one step closer to finding the perfect blanket to suit your horse! Up next, learn how to identify the type, strength, and weight of blanket that your horse needs.
If you have any further questions about how to measure your horse or what size blanket your horse should wear, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (330)-494-8225, we’re always happy to help!